PREPARING FOR THE SLEEP STUDY
When your referral has been reviewed we will inform you of the date of your appointment. All future notifications will be sent to you by email if you provide us with your email address. Please add sleep-clinic.ca to your "safe senders" list.
When you receive the email from our office you will be able to:
• Confirm or change your appointment; • Fill in the online questionnaire at least 48 hours before your study; • Fill in a sleep diary before your appointment; and • View all the instructions you need before the sleep study.
If you do not have an email address, you can fill in the questionnaire and the sleep diary by clicking on the links on the HOME page. The preparation for sleep study information is on the home page on the right side under the Hamilton, St Catharines and CMH headers.
In order to ensure that we are able to achieve the best possible results, please follow the instructions set out below.
• Arrive on time at the laboratory. HAMILTON ARRIVAL: 7.45pm ST. CATHARINES ARRIVAL: 8.15pm CAMBRIDGE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL ARRIVAL: 7.45pm
DO NOT ARRIVE AT THE LABORATORY BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME AS THERE IS NO TECHNICIAN HERE TO ASSIST YOU. IF YOU NEED TO ARRIVE EARLY, YOU MUST MAKE ARRANGEMENTS WITH OUR OFFICE AHEAD OF TIME.
• Phone our after hours number (905) 529 3088 if you are going to be late or we will assume you are a "No-Show" and YOUR APPOINTMENT WILL BE CANCELLED. You will be responsible for a no show fee. See our clearly posted cancellation policy on this website. You need to leave the sleep laboratory by 6.30am the following morning.
• BRING YOUR HEALTH CARD WITH YOU.
• Make sure your hair is clean and free of hair oils or gels, and hair pieces (if applicable).
• Remove nail polish and false nails.
• We are no longer allowing patients to bring in their own pillows to reduce the risk of contamination from mites, bedbugs, etc. You may not bring any sleep wear, including slippers, to the clinic for the overnight appointment. You will be provided with comfortable sleep wear and pillows once you arrive. We have a limited number of specialty pillows for patients who require firm support, etc. If you have any special needs (such as sleeping with a large number of pillows), you need to notify our office ahead of your sleep study. You may not bring a large bag into the clinic with you.
• Limit the amount of caffiene and alcohol consumed on the day of your study. • Eat normally before you arrive. If you are diabetic or usually eat a snack before bedtime, bring food with you. We have small kitchen area available with a fridge and kettle.
• Take your usual medications and bring any that you might need during your visit. IF YOU TAKE A SLEEPING AID (PILLS, HERBAL REMEDIES,ETC) bring them with you. Do not take them before you arrive at the sleep laboratory or before the technician tells you it is OK to take them. Our technicians cannot administer any medications- you will be responsible for taking your own medications.
• Leave all valuables at home. We cannot be held responsible for loss or theft of valuables or cash. Bring only what is absolutely necessary.
• If you are currently on a CPAP device at home, bring the tubing and mask with you to the test.
We require at least 24 hours notice of cancellation or you will be charged for a missed appointment. Read our cancellation policy carefully.
The test is fully covered by OHIP.
There is no smoking within 10 meters of both our locations. Please respect our no-smoking policy.